Some of the beneficiaries chosen:
These homes have been specifically chosen because they are in need. I have done several overseas community involvement/volunteer projects prior to this and I know the mechanics of it. Many a times, several orphanages receive so much hype and popularity from (Singapore) schools and organisations, all doing their community involvement/volunteer projects, that at times they receive too much help. I have friends telling me that they have been turned away by some homes because they have too much help. In fact, during my recent trip to Batam, I have several friends asking me if I went to *insert name of home here – I forgot*, because that’s one home that is very popular amongst Singaporean schools.
The first time I went to Batam, I had a clear intention to visit the homes that are sidelined, i.e., do not receive much donations/attention. I knew I hit my target when at Nujumul Huda, ibu Sinar told us that we were the first Singaporeans to have ever donated to them.
I am not saying that we shouldn’t be donating to the popular homes, I am saying that there needs to be an increased awareness of the many small homes around Batam and a more even spread of help given.
The children in these homes are of 2-16 years of age.. About 80% of them are orphans while the other 20% are children whose parents are unable to take care of them, or who live too far away from school and cannot afford to travel to and fro to get to school on time every day.
1) Panti Asuhan Nujumul Huda
I have met the lady behind this children homes several time, and even wrote about the first time I met her here. She is an amazing lady with the greatest of hearts and I am more than grateful for the chance given to help her.
They even run their own kindergarten for the children!
2) Panti Asuhan Riyadhus Shalihin
3) Panti Asuhan Nahdatul Wataan
Like I said, I have personally visited these homes and I have seen the dire conditions they are living in. What inspired me was really the light that shone from each and every caretaker I met on that trip. Each of them truly believed in Allah’s providence and made the best out of their situations. It reminded me of true faith.
So how will the proceeds from the bake sale be used?
The money, together with other monetary donations we receive, will be donated to these 3 homes in 2 forms: monetary and goods.
We will use a portion of the money to buy food items (rice, eggs, instant noodles, salt, sugar) and toiletries (toothpaste, shampoo, body soap, sanitary pads, detergent, dishwashing soap) for these homes. We will be purchasing these items at a wholesale shop in residential Batam, so rest assured that we will be maximising the funds that we have.
We are also thinking of making goodie bags for the kids because the last time we did (goodie bags were donated by a volunteer)… oh the joy on the kids faces!
We also did henna painting (henna donated by a kind soul) so that’s definitely something on our list for the next trip too!
I will say upfront that I am absolutely horrible at counting Indonesian rupiahs (too many zeros, my eyes goes woozy!) so…..